This series documents stone structures that were constructed in North Alabama by the Civilian Conservation Corps during and in the years following the Great Depression. These images were included in the exhibit “WPA: The Era, Art and Legacy” at the Tennessee Valley Art Museum in Tuscumbia, Alabama. This exhibit was on display during the Fall of 2009 and explored the history and impact of the Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps in the area of North Alabama.

The Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration were both part of the work relief programs enacted by President Franklin D. Roosevelt following the Great Depression. These programs provided unemployed young men manual labor related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural areas of the United States, and were active from 1933 to 1942.

(click image to enlarge)
Pavillion, TVA Reservation Pavillion, TVA Reservation Pavillion, TVA Reservation Pavillion, TVA Reservation
Deshler Stadium, Tuscumbia, AL Deshler Stadium, Tuscumbia, AL Stone Lodge, UNA Campus Stone Lodge, UNA Campus
Stone Lodge, UNA Campus Overlook, TVA Reservation Overlook, TVA Reservation Overlook, TVA Reservation
Pavillion, TVA Reservation TVA Reservation Trails TVA Reservation Trails Overlook, TVA Reservation
President's House, UNA Campus TVA Reservation Trails Big Spring Park, Tuscumbia, AL Big Spring Park, Tuscumbia, AL
Big Spring Park, Tuscumbia, AL Retaining Wall, UNA campus Retaining Wall, Waterloo, AL Retaining Wall, Waterloo, AL
Willingham Hall, UNA Campus